Just created bitbox forum !
Current WIPs : 16, 0xFF
Some threads about a 3d-printed box

Author Topic: singing toy (bit)boxes  (Read 127 times)

ible

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
singing toy (bit)boxes
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »
the kid has some toy cars / animals on wheels that start singing when driven/buttons-pressed/after some time period.  (eventually they do go back to sleep until the button is pressed again.)  when they all start singing over top each other, it almost sounds harmonic, but i was thinking it would be cool to create some little goofball robots like this, but which listen for other sounds, and will start singing in harmony.  so you can have other sound-robots singing, or you can sing to them and they'll start responding.  maybe such a thing exists, but i doubt it's open source/open hardware!

not sure if an stm32f4 is overkill.  also, on the bitbox is the audio jack output only?  i suppose if i knew enough with hardware i could (if necessary) get a mic into the UEXT port...

makapuf

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: singing toy (bit)boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:24:53 PM »
ah, those annoying ever making noise things ! .. even a ball says hello to you nowadays. grmph.
We had some e-birds singing together (by recognizing small sound patterns -before- their song for synchronization). and definitely not opensource. The kind of thing you describe requires more computation power though. an f4 might be overkill .. maybe not that much, $-wise however if you want to (I guess some arduinos could do FFTs).

Bitbox audio is indeed output only, but as connecting a mike to UEXT ...  great idea !

I guess some kind of preamp like this : https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12758 could be used ! Than you'd have to configure the pin as ADC and di some kind of FFT. (I think even a micro could easily be used to drive .. a micro).